Montag, 21. Juli 2008

R.I.P George Carlin

So, this is my first blog but I thought George Carlin's death warranted the creation of a blog. I hope I won't be too lazy and write from time to time about music or politics or stuff. Anyway...

For me, Carlin was the voice of fearless reason, of uncomfortable truth, the guy who kept saying 'the emperor is naked'. And made people laugh doing so. He wasn't afraid to joke about anything and one of his favourite topics was american society.

In my opinion, the reason Carlin got his reputation, was that he didn't just mock his audience. For better or worse, he tried to make them realize they can change. Despite all his abrasiveness and biting sarcasm he loved america. Even more: It was because he loved America so much that he took the right to liberally criticize her various economical, social and environmental problems.

As a humorist, he may not have been as much a natural on scene as Richard Pryor nor was he as hard-hitting on politics as Bill Hicks and he wasn't as innovative as other humorists before and after him. What he was, was a total package: naturally sarcastic, articulate, inclined to scatological humor but not afraid to let us know what exactly he thought of the american society.

As the years passed, he grew even angrier and more venomous than in his prime, and as the clip 'modern man' shows, he hadn't forgotten to experiment.

He'll be sorely missed and the question is: who's the next carlin? Lewis Black, who isn't afraid to show his rage on stage? The great Bill Maher? David Chapelle, with his unique hindsight? I guess years will tell.

What I do know is, he would have hated all those lovey-dovey kind of eulogies... So I'll make it short and sweet and just wish pesci rest his soul

1 Kommentar:

La Vanguardia hat gesagt…

Hey there! Nice seeing you today!